Friday, November 11, 2011

Final Reflection on Learning

I remembered that the first “speech” I gave in front of some of you were the “Story Telling”. Although I had written a script with some points I wanted to cover as preparation, I felt very nervous when I stood one or two meters away from you to deliver the speech. I had to repeat what I’ve said to earn myself some time to think about what I should say next. I felt upset when I finished my story that day.

The first formal speech I gave was the peer teaching, which I think is ok. I thought I can do it after finishing our slides. However, I realized I was wrong after we did our rehearsal, because I got stuck quite a few times during the rehearsal. Therefore, I lacked of confidence when I did my peer teaching. But I learned a lot from my partner and the comments you gave, I thought that I can do better next time!

Time flies to the mock OP, I went through my part a lot of times for preparation. I finished my mock OP fluently as I thought, but I didn’t pay attention to the eye contact or smile. Thanks to those comments, I knew what aspects I need to improve when doing the real OP.

I, myself, can feel the differences between the first speech I gave and the OP. I was confident, clear and concise. What’s more, I paid more attention to make eye contact with my audience and kept smiling.

This module did help me a lot to communicate better in English and make friends! I feel lucky that I chose this module! During the class, we had lots of interesting discussion about effective communication, interpersonal conflicts, intercultural communication, surveys, interviews and our projects! Apart from peer teaching and OP, the discussion about intercultural communication and mock interview helped me a lot. I think I will definitely do better in a real interview! Thanks my “HR group”!

It’s really fast that this semester is nearly coming to the end, which means my exchange time is going to the end. I will cherish those happy time I had with you all! It’s so hard to say goodbye!

Do contact me if you are going to China in the future! Thanks and best wishes to your final exams (Actually I don’t want to mention that :p)!

10 comments:

  1. Dear Zoey,

    I think we have all witnessed the tremendous effort you put in to improve your oral presentation skills. I know how impossibly tough it can be to speak in public using a language you aren't familiar with. However, kudos to you for the huge improvement. Now, that's something I can learn from you :)

    Have a safe trip home and drop me an email if you want to visit Malaysia (I can drive you around).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zoey,

    First things first, I 'm glad to know you enjoyed and learnt much from taking this module! It was also a joy to have you in the class and get interesting input from a Chinese (China) point of view :)

    I have the same sentiments as you, I feel that the business story-telling, peering teaching and mock presentation were very key in helping us make improvements in our presentation skills, all leading up to a great OP as Brad himself claims.

    May it be a continuous process of learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Just to correct a few grammar mistakes (I hope I am not being too picky):

    2nd paragraph 1st line:
    "which I THOUGHT was OK."
    "I thought I COULD do it after finishing the slides."

    3rd paragraph last line:
    "what aspects to improve ON when doing the.."

    Cheers!

    "

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ning:I remembered the advice you gave to improve English :) Thank you very much!
    I'm thinking about going to Malaysia after my exams :)
    @Noelle:Ha,it's good to know we had the same feelings! And thanks a lot for your grammar comments :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zoey!

    I enjoyed being your peer teaching partner and proposal teammate. Although you have language barrier, your never give up attitude and willingness to learn helped you to overcome the barrier. I feel that it is really commendable and you should give yourself a pat on your back. Also, you really improved a lot in not just speaking english, but also presenting. I am actually quite shocked that you can improve so much in 13 weeks.

    All the best Zoey and thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey zoey,

    It has been a real joy seeing you become a more confident and articulate speaker. As I have said at the beginning of the course, your english is really nowhere near poor. I was really impressed when you gave such a good oral presentation. Hope you have had a great time in NUS interacting with us. Enjoy the rest of your exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zoey,

    We all witnessed how you “transform” and we were amazed.

    I didn’t know that you are only going to be in NUS for one semester until the last lesson.
    I guess, this is a very fruitful semester for you :D

    And you mentioned Chris a few times in the different blog posts and during some discussion in class. You met a good partner :)
    I believe that not only did you learnt from him, Chris learnt from you too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Zoey, for documenting your presentation "journey" in this final post. I like the way you describe your initial experience, then the peer teaching, then the final OP. This is very complete and yet concise. Like the other commentators, I too have been impressed by your commitment to learning and your development over the term. What a great effort!

    Since I know you want to continue learning, here are some sentences that need your attention. Your English is excellent, of course, but there is always room for improvement:

    1) ... the first “speech” I gave ... were the “Story Telling” .... >>> verb agreement?

    2) Time flies to the mock OP, I went through my part a lot of times for preparation. >>> Time flew to the mock OP; I went through my part a lot of times for preparation.

    3) But I learned a lot from my partner and the comments you gave, I thought that I can do better next time! >>> But I learned a lot from my partner and the comments you gave. I thought that I could do better next time.

    4) ... I knew what aspects I need ... >>> I knew what aspects I needed....

    5) I, myself, can feel the differences ... >>> I can feel the differences ...


    In any case, it has been a great pleasure for all of us to work with you this semester. Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Zoey!

    It was great working on the same team with you for the proposal and oral presentation! I liked that your post was on your gradual improvement on your English communication skills and your presentation skills! We could all see that you were constantly improving throughout the course :)

    I vividly remember that you were often asking questions to clarify your doubts on certain topics or words before and after lessons. I felt that you had truly learnt and improved yourself constantly in this semester.

    Have fun during your remaining time in NUS and in Singapore!

    huixin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Zoey!

    It is good to know that you had a great time in Singapore and in our class as well. It was great to look at you grow your skills, from the beginning. I must say, you worked really well on your final presentation as your delivery seemed quite effortless, which I thought was quite amazing!

    Have a safe trip back home!

    ReplyDelete