Saturday, August 20, 2011

Why Effective Communication Is Important To Me?

The answer to this question for most of you may be: because I’m not good at communication, because I want to be more competitive in job interviews, because I need to improve my relationship with the people around me, etc. But as for me, an exchange student from China, the answer could be a little bit different.
To be honest, I can communicate with others in Chinese very confidently. I know how to choose certain channels and words to express my feelings, my thoughts, my attitudes well, but when it comes to English, things change completely. I don’t know if the same way will have the same impact. Before I open my mouth, every nerve of me is strained, when I open my mouth, I feel brain blank occasionally. Therefore, when I saw this module and this question, I just interpreted them into” Professional communication in English”,” why effective communication in English is important to me” automatically. Not only do I need to learn how to convey my thoughts well, but also to learn from all of you, my dear teacher and classmates ,how to make my communication effectively.
In fact, I am always aware of what I want to say, I mean the key points, but sometimes I am so fear to miss something important that I always spend too much time explaining rather than focus on the main points. In order to make my speech concise and enjoyable, I need to be armed with effective communication skills.
What’s more, I want to make more friends and keep good relationship with my friends, family, teachers and classmates. The main way to accomplish that is to communicate with them effectively, to fully express how I’m willing to be friendly and to love them.
That’s why I took this module.
P.S: I am very poor at writing. Hope I express myself well J

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i guess the same can be said if we turned the tables! When i went to China i too had to watch my words. There was this one time, i was in the bullet train and me my friends were talking about what modules to take the next semester, i accidentally mouthed off the words "i protest!". Apparently that word is pretty taboo in China, and the locals in the train shot these disgruntled looks at me. The tour guide had to explain to to some of the locals travelling with us that we were Singaporeans, and we complain about EVERYTHING.haha.

    oh, your writing is not that poor,and your grammar is near perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your post, memories came flashing back. I totally forgot the fear I had when I was asked to speak up in class in secondary school. I spoke more Chinese than English when I was younger and each time any teacher wants me to speak in English, I will stutter.
    After going into polytechnic where everyone speaks English, I was also forced to communicate in that language. Overtime, I got comfortable and had more confidence.
    I believe for you, it will too be the same. The fear will soon vanish :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoey,

    My name is 张宗扬, from the other class of Brad. I came here for college education 3 years ago and totally understand how you felt when first speaking up in English.

    Since the two comments above have said what I want to say, I just say hi and welcome to Sigapore. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Eric: Thx~~I think "protest"isn't taboo in China,but we don't use that word much:)I think I just need time to get used to the life here! Thanks again for the IT help:)

    @Klara:I think your English is pretty good!
    Four months' life here will sure improve my English a lot!I will try my best!!Thx~

    @zongyang:Hi!Nice to know you~My name is 周亦 in chinese.That's cool you can study here!What's your major?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zoey, I grew up in a Chinese speaking family and was bad communicating in English. But I slowly learn to improve conversing in English by practicing more, speak English whenever you have the opportunity. For instance, speak English to friends, to family members or even when you are ordering food from the canteen. Practice makes Perfect, I am sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Zoey, for this well-organized, heart-felt post. I really appreciate the way you openly reflect on your fear of communicating in English. The way that you contrast your comfort-level while communicating in Chinese with that of your English communication is also very clear, and poignant.

    I'm glad that you made the decision to join our ES2007S group. By the feedback that you've received from classmates, I can see that you are already "in good hands."

    Thanks for your very fine effort with this initial post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Zoey,

    I want to let you know that I enjoyed the 'story-telling' session very much that day. I think you may have told me why you wanted to be in this class too.

    I suppose it's only natural to feel fear when you are not familiar with the language or environment you are in. I have a friend in Halll, who is also a Chinese national. Although he doesn't speak fluent English, he never fails to try each time he talks to anyone of us. He told me that if he were to be afraid or embarrassed, he would never get to learn. I agree with him and am very impressed by his courage to openly show his 'vulnerable' side.

    By the way, I find it easier to learn a language when you use it more. Another less daunting way could be watching movies. Hahaha..Watch more movies in English and you'll pick it up in no time. Besides, it's a more entertaining way.

    Cheers, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Png Ning:
    Hi!How are you now?Hope you will get better soon!

    I think I have to practice more too.I used to watch English movies in China,but unfortunately,I always end up by watching the Chinese caption,because I think they speak too fast.Maybe I should watch some movies without caption:)Thx for your advice! Have a nice weekend too!

    ReplyDelete